PCEL delivers a coordinated and customized set of leadership and instructional development programs, services and activities. We facilitate collaborative administrator and district team learning experiences at Penn and throughout the region that are grounded in emerging research in effective educational leadership, teaching, student learning, and organizational change. We apply the resources of Penn/GSE to collaborate with school districts, schools, and other organizations to enhance their leadership capacity.
The Penn Center for Educational Leadership’s activities focus on these major projects for leadership and development:
- Distributed Leadership Initiatives: Develop teacher leaders to function in school leadership teams which focus on improving instruction
- Center for School Study Councils (CSSC): Serve as a catalyst for superintendents to take a pro-active leadership role and facilitate their own professional development
- Excellence and Equity Leadership Initiatives: Equity leadership
- Penn Literacy Network (PLN):Provide research- based, comprehensive professional development/curricular enhancement programs in reading/writing/talking/listening across the curriculum for teachers, instructional coaches and educational leaders in grades pre K – 12.
- Penn Project for Civic Engagement (PPCE): PPCE plans and conducts civic dialogues where community members are guided through a process of deliberation to identify problems in their community and do something about them. The work people accomplish through this process creates insight, solutions, and momentum toward action.
- Penn Search: Executive search service
- Certificate Program in Leadership Dynamics: Develops leadership thinking and provides strategies for the dynamic and complex challenges faced by contemporary leaders.
- Custom Consulting: In addition to the “core services” of the PCEL projects, the center strives to respond to the individual needs of districts for various types of training and technical assistance.