PhilWP UPDATE Newsletter
What's happening with the Philadelphia Writing Project? Find out!
- 15-26 July -- Project Write (Grades 9-12) Register Now
- 22 July -- Invitational Summer Institute Begins
- 9 August -- Last Day of Invitational Summer Institute
- TC Meenoo Rami describes #engchat in a blog post published by Education Week: "PD for teachers, by teachers." Read more.
- TC Helen Anderson was featured on NWP Radio and spoke about the use of NWP Connect in the Arts Inquiry Seminar. Listen.
- TCs received professional degrees on Saturday, May 12, at the Penn GSE commencent exercises: Leslie Rutkowsky Pratt, Ph.D.; Raquel Estevez-Joyce, Ed.D.; and Luke Zeller, M.Ed. Leslie and Raquel were both hooded by Dr. Susan Lytle. Also, Dr. Diane Waff hooded her first doctoral student on Saturday.
- TCs Christina Puntel, Marjorie Gaskin, Lorraine Ustaris, and Alison McCartney were honored with the annual Lindback Distinguished Teaching Award. Read more.
- TC Trey Smith was named 2011-2012 Outstanding Science Teacher by the Philadelphia chapter of the Pennsylvania Society of Professional Engineers.
- TC Sam Reed blogged for The Philadelphia Public School Notebook recently about an upcoming opportunity for his students to learn about and dream up ideas for using a 3D printer. Read more.
- TC Hillary Linardopoulos was featured on Philly.com for using Twitter to create opportunities for students, to demonstrate the power of social networking to achieve a goal, and to invite Jimmy Rollins to her third grade classroom. Read more.
- TC Trey Smith presented at the National Writing Project's Urban Sites Network Conference in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on April 14. His presentation addressed social justice and writing in the science classroom. Read more.
- TC Robert Rivera-Amezola was featured in a WHYY/Philadelphia Public School Notebook article about using digital storytelling with ELL students. Robert also edits and produces the PhilWP teacher profiles.
- TC Lisa Hantman was featured in a WHYY/Philadelphia Public School Notebook article about teaching third graders science and math using food and servicing learning.
- On Saturday, February 25, those in attendance at Penn GSE’s Ethnography Forum honored TC/Founding Director Dr. Susan Lytle as part of Practitioner Research Day. Dr. Lytle started Practitioner Research Day and will be retiring at the end of this year.
- TCs Abby Baker, Natalia Mykytiuch and Luke Zeller presented practitioner research at Penn GSE’s Ethnography Forum as a showcase of their from the Advanced Summer Institute II.
- Congrats to TC Rita Sorrentino for being one of 20 teachers honored with a "Teacher as Hero Award" from the National Liberty Museum. Read more.
- TC Meenoo Rami started #engchat on Twitter last year and recently hosted Diane Ravitch for one of the weekly conversations. View the Twitter transcript here. Jim Burke will join in #engchat conversation on July 11. Read more and contact Meenoo on Twitter: @mrami2.
- TCs Matt Mandel, Mattie Davis, Loretta Solomon hosted a workshop and Dina Pierce served as recorder at the annual PFT Health and Wellness conference and introduced teachers to the Philadelphia Writing Project. The session was a huge success!
- TC Tamara Anderson performed on stage April 7 in Swingin’ the Standards, a production by The Five Minute Follies. Read more.
- TC Matthew Mandel, a National Board Certified Teacher in Early Adolescent English Language Arts at the Baldi Middle School, was honored as a finalist for the School District of Philadelphia's 2011 Ruth Wright Hayre Teacher of the Year Award.In the latest blog from her on-going series with Diane Ravitch, Deborah Meier writes about the importance of building trust between families and schools. At the end of her letter, she asks readers to check out TC Lynne Yermanock Strieb's Inviting Families into the Classroom.
- TC Robin Muldor, children’s librarian for the Free Library of Philadelphia in Kensington, won the 2011 Best Practices Award for her entry “Kensington Library Read Across America Celebrates Dr. Seuss' Birthday” in the category of “Programs that serve ‘at-risk’ children between the ages of birth and 6 years of age.”
- During the weekend of November 28, TCs Trina Allen and Trey Smith participated in a weekend seminar and brainstorming session with teachers from 6 other NWP sites across the nation. The meeting took place in Tiburon, CA. You can read some of Trey’s reflections here.
- TC Meenoo Rami will spoke at the 2011 NCTE Annual Convention. She presented during the panel session, "Pound for #: Twitter Hastags Foster Powerful Professional Development and Fuel Literacy Initiatives."