Articles & Videos
A Framework for Constructing, Observing, and Evaluating Lesson Plans: using the Common Language of the Penn Literacy Network
Presented by Dr. Morton Botel. Please use this Viewing Guide.
PLN District: Derry Area School District is a PLN partner district.
The Derry Area School District won the PA Keystones to Opportunity award last spring. This video highlights the work they've accomplished in literacy over the past few years including their partnership with The Penn Literacy Network/University of PA.
Reflecting on learning: Archbishop Ryan High School Students talk about the impact of PLN concepts and strategies on their learning.
Principal Jim Meredith wrote: "When I look back at my career, participation in this program will be one of my proudest moments. I am sure of this. Why? Student voice. Thank you for making this possible."
Presented by Dr. Bonnie Botel-Sheppard and Dr. Morton Botel
Dr. Bonnie Botel-Sheppard and Dr. Morton Botel
Journals and Resources of Interest
- The Four Lenses of Learning: "Brian Sherrer, a HS technology education teacher, put together a tryout lesson that merged the PLN Framework and the Engineering Design Process during his PLN 18B course. Using The Four Lenses of Learning and Design Thinking, he had his students transact with and compose texts to explore a solution to a problem they chose. The students were engaged in critical thinking, collaboration, problem solving, and reflection." Anthony Gabriele
- Please read the ASCD article by former PLN liaison, Dr. Michael Reed: "To Find Solutions, Look Inward"
- A school principal’s final assignment for PLN 1
- An assistant principal’s final assignment for PLN 1
- A Principal Implements a Writing Strategy in the Classroom
- 4 Pillars Support Coaching: Pennsylvania Model Brings New Consistency to Instructional Coaching, By Ellen B. Eisenberg (PIIC)
- PLN 14 Final Reflection - Teaching with Poverty in Mind, by Manda Mosier
Articles by PLN
- PLN Article: "Producing Lifelong Learners: Penn Literacy Network Continues a Legacy" in the GSE PENN Spring Magazine 2017 by Juliana Rosati
- Deepening Online Learning: Forming an Interactive Learning Community by Fusing a Virtual Classroom with a Live Classroom, by Ms. Holly Cohen, MEd, NCSP and Dr. Bonnie Botel-Sheppard, Executive Director of The Penn Literacy Network of The University of Pennsylvania
- PLN and Upper Darby School District Partner to Support Family Literacy and Numeracy, by Kristin Larsen
- Adolescent learning: What's new?, By Joseph Ginotti, PLN Director, By Joseph Ginotti, PLN Director