Offerings for Penn Undergraduates

Whether you are interested in becoming a teacher, learning about education issues, or preparing for graduate study in the field of education, Penn GSE offers multiple avenues for Penn undergraduates to take courses.

Students on Penn's Campus

Course Enrollment for Undergraduates

There are a number of courses taught by Penn GSE faculty that are open to undergraduates at Penn. Some programs offer submatriculation options, and Penn GSE co-sponsors the Urban Education Minor with the College of Arts & Sciences.

Visit the Penn Course Catalog to browse courses in Education (EDUC).  

Some courses may require permission from the division to enroll.

Penn Emblem on Campus

Submatriculation Programs

Submatriculation programs are an exclusive offer for full-time juniors or seniors at the University of Pennsylvania to explore graduate education and apply up to four courses to both degrees, at no additional cost. Through submatriculation, you can begin your master's program as an undergraduate, saving time, money—and you won't have to take the GRE.

Visit the Admissions information for Submatriculation

Urban Education Minor

In response to student interest in community and education issues, the College of Arts and Sciences and the Graduate School of Education sponsor an interdisciplinary minor in Urban Education. This seven-course undergraduate minor offers students a unique opportunity to bridge learning between the classroom and the community. 

The minor is open to Penn undergraduates in all disciplines. Students choose from among three concentrations (Urban Education Minor: Policy, Research, and Practice; Urban Education Minor: Elementary /Middle Years Education; or Urban Education Minor: Secondary Education) depending on interest in pursuing urban teaching certification immediately or developing a strong foundation in the issues of urban schools. Students in all three concentrations take two core courses. The additional five requirements vary depending on the concentration. Note that education (EDUC) courses will be counted towards your 4-course limit on classes taken outside of the School of Arts and Sciences. Please plan accordingly.

Urban Education minors may apply for submatriculation into Penn GSE master's programs in their junior or senior year, and count four courses as an undergraduate toward the Master’s Degree. The allowed courses vary by program, so meeting with the advisor is necessary.

For additional information about the Urban Education Minor please contact the program advisor:

Amy Stornaiuolo
Graduate School of Education
3700 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6216